If you are considering a multi-family project such as an apartment complex, town homes, or duplexes, the first step is to submit a Facility Improvement Letter Request (FIL) [PDF]. Our Development Engineering staff will determine if existing system capacity is adequate to serve the planned project and that fire flows required for your project can be provided. The FIL will also establish what facility extensions must be constructed in order to provide water service to your property. Following the FIL, a Facility Plan Report (FPR) may be required for your commercial project however this will be determined during the FIL process and you will be notified accordingly.

After receiving your completed FIL, you may open a project by completing an Extension of Facilities Application. Please submit the Application along with the applicable fee and required number of plan sets as prepared by your civil engineer.

Once plans are approved and signed, Extension of Facilities Agreements have been signed by the property owner and recorded with the County Recorder, easements, if applicable, are obtained, and recorded, inspection deposit and warranty fees are paid, bonding is in place, and any other requirements deemed necessary have been met, you may then purchase service. Our current Facility Capacity Charges can be found here. Should your project require meters larger than 1-inch, you will need to complete a Large Meter Application [PDF].

Frequently Asked Questions
What size meter will meet the requirements of my project?
Development Services staff cannot advise what size meter will best suit your needs, but we have a meter flow chart that can help you make that determination.

Am I restricted to master metering my units?
With a multi-family venture, you may meter your units either individually or via a master meter.

Is it recommended to have a separate landscape meter?
If you have a common area for landscape, it may be beneficial to purchase a separate landscape meter. All water registered through the building meter is subject to a sewer commodity charge. Therefore, if a sizeable amount of water is consumed for irrigation purposes, it will directly affect your sewer commodity charge. The common area must be owned by an owner's association.

In 2005, the District approved the installation of sub-meters for commercial projects. Sub-meters can be installed to separately meter restaurants served by a master meter in a retail center and/or commercial landscaping. The water used through the sub-meter is not subject to the sewer commodity charge, thereby reducing the charges for wastewater. For more information on the sub-meter process, please click here.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer